Apart from the educational loans, scholarships and endowments are other sources of necessary monetary assistance to students and scholars for pursuing education, especially the higher education in India or abroad, in the desired professional discipline. Thus, educational or research scholarships are certainly a great help to meritorious and ambitious students and scholars of financially deprived backgrounds. To inform and help Indian students for acquiring educational scholarships at any academic level, for carrying out (higher) education in India or abroad, and also the foreign students in pursuing their higher studies in India, ours this webpage offers rich and very beneficial information about the scholarships in india, and other necessary information for obtaining any such scholarship india, at school or higher education level. Here, it may be just mentioned that these scholarships are not to be paid back, and support students valuably for meeting the course fees, book grant, tuition charges, and many other small expenditures.
As in most of the countries of the world, such scholarships are available for school children, college students, research scholars, and senior fellows. These scholarships for school education and higher studies are granted by Governmental Institutions, Institutions of Higher Learning like Universities, Missionaries, Charitable Trusts, Corporate Houses, and Private Organizations and Philanthropic Trusts. The process or procedure for availing any concerned scholarship from any of these donors is described generically in the lower section. Again, these welcome scholarships are available for pursuing higher studies in the broad disciplines of engineering and technology, medical sciences, arts and humanities, business administration and management, sciences, information technology, law, pharmacy, sports, fine arts, etc.
Scholarship Applications Procedure in India
For higher studies in India by Indian and foreign students and researchers, and also for pursuing higher education abroad by Indian students and scholars, a variety of scholarships are rendered from governmental and private institutions and organizations, at levels varying from undergraduate to doctoral. These scholarships are available under many categories like merit-based scholarships, career-specific scholarships, student-specific scholarships, college-specific scholarships, need-based scholarships, and the caste and minority-based scholarships.
To obtain a scholarship under any of the above-mentioned categories, the applicant students have to fulfill the eligibility criteria as laid down by the respective institutions or organizations. Moreover, higher studies in only the duly recognized educational institutions by the Central/State Governments, or in any prestigious private institute of national or international importance, are considered fit for receiving any scholarship. Today, facilities are also available for filling up the application form for any scholarship online. The eligibility criteria may vary from institution to institution, and some organization may utilize scholarship tests for short-listing candidates. In general, the eligibility criteria laid down by the majority of scholarship providers in India are concerned with the minimum and maximum age of the applicant, his/her academic ability and excellence, high percentage [65% and above] of marks at the previous academic level, the total annual income of his/her family, immense and exceptional interest in any particular professional field, etc.The following select list of scholarships in india covers most of the hugely popular and prestigious scholarships offered by institutions engaged in diverse professional fields:
- Central Scheme of Scholarships for College and University students
- Ministry of Human Resource Development International Scholarships
- Scholarship Scheme for students with Disabilities
- ICCR (Indian Council for Cultural Relations) Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)
- Indian Oil Academic Scholarships
- The Young India Fellowship (YIF)
- National Talent Search Scheme (NTSS) by NCERT
- ICAR National Talent Scholarships
- ICMR Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund (JNMF) Scholarships
- National Scholarship Scheme
- The Hindu-Hitachi Scholarships
- Dr. Abdul Kalam International Postgraduate Scholarship for International Students
- Reserve Bank of India Young Scholars Award Scheme
- UGC's Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders
- UGC's Maulana Azad National Fellowship for Minority Community
- Prime Minister Rural Development Fellowship (PMRDF)
- Aligarh Muslim University Scholarships
- Fellowship Programmes of IISc, Bangalore [for Science and Engineering]
- Dr. GB Scholarship Foundations Young Talent IT Scholarship
- Foundation For Excellence (FFE) Scholarships
- National Scholarships for Talented Children from Rural Areas
- NIIT Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarships
- NTPC's Scholarships for Management and Engineering
- Times Scholarship
- And, many other Scholarship Schemes from Private or Corporate Organizations and Trusts.